Thursday, July 9, 2009

While the family's away, daddy works his butt off

Trish and the kids are at a friend's cottage for a few days. So I'm bachen' it. What that really means is that I have a list of handyman around-the-house jobs that are too noisy to do while the kids are in bed.

Today I finished putting a shelf into the cabinet of our bathroom vanity. To be fair, the piece of wood for the shelf came with the vanity. All I had to do was install it. Sounds simple, but I had to use my jigsaw to cut out a slot for the sink drainpipe, as well as little notches in the back for the hot and cold water hoses. The cut-out was about 3/4 the way through the shelf, so I had to screw a few 2x2s into the back wall to support the back of the shelf. Here is a picture.



A larger project was the linen closet. Years ago, we removed a pantry from our kitchen, but kept the tongue-in-groove cedar panelling that lined the pantry. We decided to use it to line the shelves in the linen closet. It wasn't easy, but it also wasn't that hard. I also re-used the nice wooden shelves and shelf supports from the pantry. It looks pretty nice, though it'll look much better once we paint the rest of the closet.



This blog post is from
intelligent-falling.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Umm....isn't it true that while the family was away you also went for a beer at the grad club, watched two movies, went to a friend's house for dinner and went to City Cafe Bakery for breakfast? Your little handyman projects are much appreciated but I think you got to "play" a lot too!

    Oh, and you also got to sleep through the night and sleep in, too!

    Love,
    The Wife

    ReplyDelete